Since 1886, generations of families have trusted the Rachel Sovereign Memorial Home to provide comfortable, high-quality care to elderly women. Today, our two-story colonial home is licensed to provide assisted living services for 23 women. Our home was the first facility of its kind in Michigan.
November 22, 1886
Our story began on Nov. 22, 1886 when a group of 30 women met to discuss a call for help from the Trinity Church Home for Aged and Infirm Women. The church’s Trinity Home could no longer meet the growing demand for care in Bay City. By the end of the meeting, the Woman’s Association of Charities for the Bay Cities was established. A month later, in December 1886, the group purchased a building at the corner of Monroe and Fourth streets and opened its doors.
In its early years, the building housed women and homeless children. Eventually, the Woman’s Association raised the money to build a separate Children’s Home on the corner of Columbus Avenue and Johnson Street. The Children’s Home opened in the 1890s. The original building continued to serve women.
The first mention of Rachel Sovereign comes in the June 1953 Woman’s Association minutes, shortly after the death of Otto E. Sovereign. He financed the cost of building our current, 2-story colonial structure on the corner of Center Avenue and Farragut Street. In return, the building was named after his mother, Rachel Sovereign. Joseph Goddeyne was the architect and Weber Construction Co. the builder.
Since the very beginning, the home has emphasized fine meals, comfortable surroundings, and good friends.
Today, the home is licensed by the State of Michigan. A staff of 17 people and a Board of Directors oversee activities at the non-profit home. We strive to keep costs low so the home is an affordable option for women and their families.
The complete history is printed in your Admission Packet. Pictures and other information about the home are displayed inside the Rachel Sovereign Memorial Home.